Sunday, August 3, 2008

Black Butterfly...




I so love this song..It has so many meanings for me.

Not only do I remember one of the first times I heard this song was at school when we were studying blacks in america. It was the ending song from a movie called "A Boy called King".
Even as a young person, this song just drew me in in a way, I couldn't even understand. I remember telling my dad that he has to find the song for me. So he went and got me the cassette tape. I was sooooooooooooooooo thrilled. I listened to the song just about everyday.

As I got a little older, I started to dream my own dreams. So I started relating the song to me. It gave me hope that I could do anything I wanted to do. Not just as a girl, or as a black person, but just because the sky is the limit.

Then it got even more personal.....

While you slept, the promise was unkept
But your faith was as sure as the stars
Now you're free, and the world has come to see
Just how proud and beautiful you are

It because more like an anthem for me.

"while I slept, the promise was unkept" -meaning all the stuff we went through, all the long nights of talking about our future and how we were gonna be this power couple doing the dang on thing....only because lies, and cheating, and hurting and beating....

"but your (mine) faith was as sure as the stars" - I believed in you, in us, for years, even with everything that was going on. even through the bloody noses, the black eyes, the constant "bitches" that I were.

"now you're (I'm) free, and the world has come to see" - this is the part I"m working on now.
To become the person, that I know I"m destined to be. to be happy, and free, and in love with a man that loves me back. For the world to see me, even after all the trials, tribulations and bull I endured in my life. I made it. I survived losing a son, my dad, people that were suppose to be there for me and love me. I've survived, heart ache and pain, almost on the brink of killing someone, trying to commit suicide 3...YES 3 times..I've survived an auto accident that almost claimed my life. I've survived being raped, being stabbed by my son's father. Being depressed..I'll just say I"m a true survivor.

"Just how proud and beautiful you (I) am" - This is the part I'm also working on. Allowing folks in my life that truly deserves to be here. To see what a beautiful person I am, not just on the outside, but on the inside. A friend through and through, through thin or thick, even in hot shit. A loyal person that loves unconditionally, no matter if I'm wronged or not. A person that's proud of the things I've accomplished. Proud that I was a fighter (even though sometimes I wanted to give up). This is my story, and if my struggles, and my hurt and pain can help JUST ONE person not have to go through what I suffered...then I dont believe it was all in vain.

Let the current lift your heart and send it soaring
Write the timeless message clear across the sky
So that all of can read it and remember when we need it
That a dream conceived in truth can never die
Butterfly

Cause now that you're free and the world has come to see
Just how proud and beautiful you are

No comments: